Please Mark Your Calendars for these Important Mission and Outreach Dates:
- February 12 – ASP Cake Auction/Soup-Salad Lunch – 11:45 in Fellowship Hall
- March 27 – Score Night for Ricker Family (coupons will be available closer to that date)
- April 22 – 7:00 – Euchre Tournament (benefits NKCS and one other charity of winner’s choice)
- Habitat for Humanity– Spring/Summer 2017
- June 8-11 – Rockford Start of Summer Celebration
- June 11-14 –J-Walker youth mission trip
- June 24-July 1 – ASP to Appalachia (senior high/adult mission trip)
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2017 – 11:45 Until Gone
ASP SOUP & SALAD LUNCH AND CAKE AUCTION
Categories of cakes/desserts: 1) Best Decorated ASP Theme (“Love in Action”); 2) Best Decorated Religious Theme; 3) Best Decorated Valentine’s Day Theme; 4) Most Scrumptious Looking Cake; 5) Shape-Of-Your-Choice Cake (trains, bugs, fruit, etc.). Please bring your cake/dessert to the Sanctuary Narthex on February 12 before 11:00 a.m. to be considered by the Three Wonderful Judges!
SOUPS (Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken Noodle, Chili, Potato & Ham, and Tortellini); SALADS (Tossed, Coleslaw, Applesauce); Rolls/Crackers/Desserts/Drinks – $5.00 Adults and $4.00 Senior Citizens and Children 4-12 (hot dogs available for kids).
SPECIAL GUEST APPEARANCES (lots of fun!)
COME ON OUT FOR SOME SOUP/SALAD AND/OR TO BUY A CAKE!
Hand2Hand Opportunities – We are a part of a group of other churches sponsoring the Rockford Public Schools, feeding hungry children and families through HAND2HAND and our school is Parkside. Please pray that the children would feel God’s love for them and that doors would be opened so that we could reach out in other ways as well. A bread pan collection for Hand2Hand will be taken in church on Nov. 20. For more details call our Hand2Hand coordinator, Danielle Crowe, at 616-914-7050.
- Appalachia Service Project ASP is a Christian home repair ministry, affiliated with the General Board of Discipleship of the United Methodist Church, but open to all. Five crews of senior high youth will be going to Logan County, WV, from June 24 – July 1, 2017
- Bread Pan Offering Each week an offering is collected in bread pans to serve the basic needs of others. Through the bread pan offering, RUMC contributes to 9 international agencies, 7 U.S. agencies, 6 outstate Michigan agencies, and 18 Kent County/Rockford agencies each year.
- CROP Walk is neighbors walking together to take a stand against hunger in our world. Together we raise awareness and funds for international relief and development, as well as local hunger-fighting. RUMC participates in this with other area churches. On Sunday, October 9, 2016, 40 walkers from five local churches including 9 youth from the GAP Program gathered at the Rockford United Methodist Church and walked north on the White Pine Trail to the lookout just south of 12 Mile Road and back. The Crop Walk benefits Church World Services, with 25% of the funds raised each year returned to benefit North Kent Community Services and the Cedar Springs Community Food Pantry. Approximately $4,000 was raised by the five churches to help relieve hunger and poverty in the world. It was a beautiful day for the Crop Walk (and refreshments were provided back at the church). RUMC raised $2,120.87! Thank you everyone who walked or sponsored a walker!!
- Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian housing ministry which works with people such as volunteers from RUMC to build simple, decent, affordable houses with those who lack adequate shelter.
- North Kent Community Services NKCS provides food, clothing and household assistance to families and individuals in need in Kent County, Michigan.
- Barrel in Narthex – Since the first Sunday of every month is communion Sunday, we would like to make a commitment on the first Sunday of each month to bring something in for the North Kent Community Services barrel located in the south narthex. NKCS is always in need of meal helpers, boxed potatoes, pasta, spaghetti sauce, soup, peanut butter and jelly, Jello and pudding, cake mixes and frosting, cereal, salad dressings, canned fruit, cereal and granola bars, coffee and hot cocoa, toothpaste and toothbrushes, laundry detergent, toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, and anything else nonperishable. THANKS!
Work bees at night will be scheduled when there is plenty of work. If you would like to add your e-mail address to the list that gets the work bee e-mails, please contact the Church Office.
NKCS also needs your help during the day. If you have time to volunteer during the day, please call NKCS at 866.3478.